Monday 15 October 2007

My Kryptonite

I haven't seen my parents for ages, roughly about 4 almost 5 years now, not because I don't want to see them, but just because I live in the UK and they live back home in Australia. Now for ages I was so excited about having them stay with us and don't get me wrong it has been fantastic having them here with us, but the G-man made a really interesting observation. He said to me one day "your father is your kryptonite". Now I thought about this for a long time and it is true, for some reason I feel compelled to impress and gain my father's approval even though I know deep down that I don't have to do this and he doesn't want this from me, but when I am around him I go from being Superwoman

to being a 5 year old girl with pigtails desperately trying to get approval. How strange is that?

However, I have learnt something during their stay and that is, I don't need their approval because dammit I am doing pretty good all things considered and that they love me and are very proud of both myself and my husband. During our Tour of Italy (which I will blog about later) I heard my dad telling people how well we are doing, and how proud he was of us etc. All the things I wish he had told me a long time ago. I guess I am lucky to have heard him say it anyway - god I love my parents to bits and they drive me insane but that is the best part.

3 comments:

.. said...

I wish I could feel the same way towards my parents...

eleanor bloom said...

Oh, dads are hopeless for getting compliments out of!
You know, it's amazing the power dads can have over daughters, how much they can affect us. Don't get me started!

gigglewick said...

Yes. My parents recently ran into an old friend of mine and regaled me with the story of what they had learned from her about her life.

I wanted to know what THEY said about ME.

I'm with eleanor on this one...!