Tuesday 17 July 2007

A Timeless Battle

There is a timeless battle I feel between urges, especially the ones that creep up on you at 3 in the morning. This is the all time battle between the urge to wee, to get a drink or to go back to sweet sweet slumber.

For the past week or so I have had to contend with said battle nearly every night / early morning. I wake up, with a bladder the size of a football and a gob like Ghandi’s slipper ! However, the urge to just roll over and go back to sleep is ever so strong, but I know if I do that I will either have dreams where I am constantly weeing but not getting any relieve or sense of satisfaction, or I will dream that I am searching desperately for a drink (a bit like real life actually). A conundrum indeed, so the only option is to get up, but in what order? Shall I go to the loo first and then get a drink, or do I get a drink and then go to the loo? Either way I am probably going to have to be pretty much fully awake, although you can wee with your eyes shut.

So I finally decide that something needs to be done, I am nearly fully awake now anyway so I shall go do a wee, get a drink and then slip blissfully back to sleep right? Well the first two seem to go without a hitch, but the going back to sleep thing … … well this poses to be a bit of a problem now because I am now wide awake, as wide a wake as possible, actually I think that I am more wide awake now than I am when I am at work!

I flip flop around in bed, desperately seeking that most comfortable position, but fail miserably to locate it and only stop moving about when not only is the G-man starting to get pissed off at me, but that the cat gives me a grumpy look, stomps on my head and snuggles up on the blanket on the floor. Must get to sleep, must get to sleep, got to get up uber early tomorrow oh no today (this is the mantra that is spinning around my head by now). Sleep does finally arrive, but only after I have thought about a bazillion things that I need to do, and panicked about things that I may have forgotten to do at work yesterday.

Where I go wrong, I do believe is that when I first get up I make the fatal mistake of looking at the clock and then going ‘oh crap it’s 4:30am only a couple of hours before I have to get up and go to work, bugger, shit, bugger’.

So here are my choices the next time this happens:

1. Don’t get up and relieve bodily functions, but continue to sleep hoping desperately that I won’t wet the bed and my mouth won’t seal shut for an eternity due to the lack of hydration (some may say the mouth sealing is a good thing)

2. Get up and go about business without opening eyes and hope I don’t crash into something.

3. Get up, go about business with eyes half open but DO NOT LOOK AT CLOCK.

9 comments:

tine said...

sweet posting :) I like your blog

Sakura said...

Tine - Thanks for stopping by, & thanks for your encouragement I hope to see you here again.

tine said...

sure, already I'm here again. found your comment on my blog, just went back to see if you'd written anything new, and read your night thing again. It reminds me of the exact same thing a couple of years ago, I started getting up every night. felt I had turned into my grandpa. couldn't sleep again, the peeing ended up taking half an hour every night. or making me just stay up from super early to not lie there and get angry. good luck. best thing maybe just trick yourself with some meditation trick, focus on your upperlip(yes) or forehead or something, to not hink yourself up, but down instead :D good advice, no, to someone thinking like a whipped cream whipper..just try not to think at all!!

redcap said...

Well, babe, from my own sad and tragic experience, I can suggest taking a glass of water to bed for surreptitious sips. This is especially important if one has been a little ~tipsy~ before bed.

However, getting up any time after about 3am invariably disturbs the cat, which means you have to sin-bin him in the laundry. I should also mention that I've found the cat drinking from my waterglass, though, which is double-plus-ungood.

So, take the glass of water to bed, put it out of kitty-reach and if it's before about 4am, have the wee. If the cat is disturbed and starts galloping around the house, sin-bin him. If it's after 4am, try to ignore the call of the loo. Otherwise, you'll sleep through your alarm and be late for work.

Sorry, man. All I can offer.

redcap said...

By the way, I absolutely lurrrrrve your new template! Whacko the diddle!

audrey said...

Man, my problem is getting ANYTHING to wake me up...sleep is so good.

Sakura said...

Redcap - I think I might have cracked it. I keep an emergency glass of water by the bed. I haven't seen the cat drinking out of it but you never know, for all I know he could be rubbing his arse on my pillow for not giving him any treats AND I make sure I do a "before I go to bed" wee, maybe even twice just to make sure. Oh thanks for the compliment I got the skin/template from this place http://freeskins.blogspot.com/

Audrey - I am terrible in the mornings, I have come to the conclusion that sleeping is in fact a hobby and I love doing it. It is alwasy a terrible shock to my system when the alarm goes off.

River said...

Just found this blog by clicking a link on redcap's blog and I'm liking it, I'll definitely keep reading.Keeping water by the bedside is a good idea, but I use a bottle with a sipper top. That way when I've stumbled to the loo and back with my eyes shut I don't spill the water before taking a swallow. Keeping the eyes shut so I don't see the clock really helps cos then I can kid myself it's nowhere near time to get up and usually get back to sleep in about 3 minutes.

Sakura said...

Hey River thanks for stopping by. Sipper botter, that is a fabbo idea, i will have to invest in one. Now i have taken to walking around with my eyes shut just when it is too early in the morning to bother, i can't bring myself to acknowledge that i am indeed awake.